Church History

Church History

First Providence Baptist Church was organized in August 1860 under the auspices of Thankful Baptist Church of Augusta, Georgia. The original site of the church was Hamburg, South Carolina, where the church remained until the flood of 1929 forced its move from the old site to the present address; 315 Barton Road North Augusta, South Carolina.

After the flood in 1929, temporary quarters were set up to be used for cottage prayer meeting and Sunday school until a sanctuary could be erected, but because of the great depression, progress toward erecting a sanctuary was slow. When construction was almost halted, Deacon Andrew Jay gave the deed for all the land he owned in order that the lumber might be purchased to complete the sanctuary. With the help of Almighty God and the support and cooperation of the church officers, First Providence‘s members and friends, the sanctuary was completed in 1931.

Over the next several decades, the church enjoyed growth in both numbers and facilities. The many church campus improvements included exterior bricking, new pulpit furniture, carpet installation, and renovation of the church roof, redecoration of the sanctuary’s interior and exterior, and construction of restrooms, baptismal pools, and the education annex.

Under the leadership of the church’s current pastor the Reverend. Doctor Alexander Pope, Junior, installed September of 1984, First Providence Church has seen continued growth and prosperity. Dr. Pope, a prayerful man of vision and foresight, has faithfully promoted spiritual growth and unity among the church family. Christian education, Bible study classes, and deacon training classes have all flourished, along with various improvements such as a secretary’s office, a church library and food bank, and landscaping work under his illustrious leadership.

Growth and development in other areas under Dr. Pope’s leadership includes the organization of an outreach ministry, marriage and single’s ministry, summer enrichment program and a Learning and Development Center. Pastor Pope helped pilot the church family through the construction of a new sanctuary, dedicated in August of 1992.

First Providence Church has been a beacon of light and a community worship center in North Augusta South Carolina for one hundred and fifty years, and God willing, will remain on the right track and continue its godly heritage in many more years of worship and service.

Click Here to read a complete and thorough account of our history.